Glastonbury Youth Football Association Cheerleading is a fun recreational cheer program that offers participants from K to 8th grade a chance to root for our fantastic Glastonbury youth football teams. Football games are typically held on Sundays - four kickoff times are possible, with the first game starting at 9 a.m. Being flexible is a requirement, sometimes things change and we ask for your understanding.
GYFA Cheerleading is based on grade and overall participation numbers. * There are NO TRYOUTS (including for competition cheer). Participation at every level is encouraged! Come cheer with us!
We will be offering a new program for K and 1st grade this year called Fundamental Cheer. These cheerleaders will learn sideline cheers, arm motions, dance, basic stunting and how to show their spirit and lead a crowd! There will be one weekday practice and a practice/game Sunday mornings during flag football. Our K & 1st grade cheerleaders will receive pom poms, a bow and a Glastonbury Cheer t-shirt!
All of our cheerleaders will participate in a sideline cheer squad based on their age/grade. Each Sunday (about 8 games per season), home or away, GYFA Cheerleaders help increase the level of excitement for Glastonbury football Fans. Our cheerleaders lead the crowds in chants, dances, and touchdown celebrations! The fun continues as our squads follow GYFA teams to the end of the playoffs. This means up to 3 additional games.
- Attendance at pre-season practice is very important in order for all the participants to master their cheers and routines. Therefore, it is expected that you will not miss more than 50% of these practices.
- "Camp" week for cheer will begin Monday, August 15, 2022 for grades 2-8. The first week of camp will be M-F 6-8pm held on the lawn of Gideon Welles. This will be a time for ALL cheerleaders to bond, show their spirit and get prepared for the new season ahead. Practice during the school season will be Tuesday and Thursday nights with additional nights or added time for our competitive cheerleaders.
Dates to Remember!
Free Clinic & Parent meeting 5/6/22 at GW 530 pm
- Games will begin Sunday, September 4th!
- Playoff Games- 11/6, 11/13
- Championship Game-11/20
CHEERLEADING COMPETITIVE EXPERIENCE
This season we are providing the opportunity for our cheerleaders to compete. They will compete in our local competition (we are a part of the Shoreline Conference) and based on placement will have a chance to move on to the state competition, regionals (can be in CT, RI, MA or NH) and then nationals (FL) . There is no extra charge for this opportunity. There is no requirement to do the competition team but we highly encourage it! It will require an extra night of practice or later practices to prepare the cheerleaders. All cheerleaders that decide to do the competitive experience will still be required to cheer on their sideline team that is assigned by age/grade. Our main goal is to foster teamwork and support Glastonbury!
- It should be understood that missing more than 3 competitive practices will remove a participant from the competitive routine
Dates to Remember!
- Locals Competition- Shelton High School
- States- place TBD 11/5/22
- Regionals- Rhode Island Date TBD
- National- Florida 12/9-12/11
Our sideline only and sideline/competition cheerleaders will be required to purchase a sneaker package (sneakers, boy shorts) prior to our first practice in August. We will be having a fitting with the Varsity uniform rep on May 19, 2022 at GW school. More info to follow!
Competition tickets will need to be purchased by families. Competition cheerleaders/families will be responsible for costs related to travel/lodging for regionals or nationals. Average cost for parent/child to go to nationals is $1200.
Warm-ups and other Glastonbury Apparrel can also be purchased by families.
LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD VOLUNTEERS
GYFA Cheerleading could not be possible without the time and dedication of parents who have decided to step up and take a leadership role. Please reach out if you are interested in helping coach especially for our new kindergarten and first grade program. Volunteering at home games and competitions is also a requirement for all of our GYFA cheer families. Thank you for your support!
* Refund Policy- 100% refund as long as you withdraw by July 12th in writing to the CHEER DIRECTOR.
Please contact our Directors of Cheer: Rachel Jameson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nicole Filloramo at email@example.com